No fondant but buttercream piping?!?

Another one where I wasn't going to take it on. 

I think I was having lunch with one of my colleagues who mentioned that she got a quote from a local lady for a Paw Patrol cake (see photo below) for her son's 6th birthday. I know Paw Patrol... my nephews went through the same phase and wanted a Paw Patrol cake for their birthday too (so sad that I'd already moved to Singapore by then). I remember being absolutely flabbergasted at what she was quoted... almost SGD 360 for a one tier, 8 inch cake. The price was broken up into shaping, piping, premium flavour and an additional $20 for FONDANT LETTERS. WHO ACTUALLY DOES THAT?!?!?!

So as an offhand comment, I said something along the lines of:

I'd do it for half the price.

I didn't think she was serious. But she was.

(insert hyperventilating moment).

Okay, I'll admit, I thought it was going to be harder than it actually was. And I actually managed to put this one together in half the time that I'd set aside. #winning

And that's the story of how I made a buttercream cake in SG.


0 comments: