Japonaise: not Japanese

The brief was almond sponge. Some days I am good at following instructions. Other days, I like to do things my own way (which is a skewed way of following said instruction). This is a cake where we sort of met halfway.

I took the basic Japonaise cake - layers of almond meringue sandwiches between rich coffee buttercream and added two super moist layers of almond sponge cake. The result?

This amazingly tall, straight, delicious looking simplistic cake that was SO good. More than one person had a second slice.

I'm going to have to make this one again. Yeah, it's a bit time consuming (it would be a lot quicker if I had 6 racks in my oven!) but the result is just so worth it. 


And the symmetry on the inside... perfection. *cries*

I have to give a 10/10 to the cake cutter. The precision, effort and patience truly deserves an award. 

Beware: this is a rich cake. A cup of black tea or coffee would be perfect with a small slice of cake for tea.


0 comments: