Blueberry & Almond cake with Warm Orange Syrup

I picked up a copy of the Coles magazine the other day from my local supermarket as I was stocking up on my baking essentials and did a 2 minute flip through the pages last night. The cake recipe they had caught my eye because I had a lot of frozen berries (I made my own AMAZING jam too... definitely doing again for Christmas - stay tuned!) in the freezer and it wasn't a great day to be outside.

So I adapted the recipe (reduced the sugar, increased the almond meal and added a little hazelnut too) to make this cake. It reminds me so much of Christmas for some reason and I think I'll definitely be doing this as an alternative to the traditional fruit cake as I know so many people who don't like fruit cake!

And the cake is soooo beautiful both warmed up and as is so I think it'll be a perfect choice. Great tea cake too. All-rounder.

Even better is that the syrup is so easy and the cake itself is so easy to make pretty. Throw on some reserved blueberries and almond flakes before you bake. Then, drizzle over your orange syrup whilst the cake is still hot and carefully place the thinly sliced orange zest over the cake. Voila! Serve with greek yoghurt or double cream if you want to be decadent. 


0 comments: